Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Why Shout4God?

About 20 years ago, some of the songs I was writing became more public, and even printed, and I needed to leave my signature on these songs. My given name just didn't have the ring I wanted, so I started brainstorming. Some of those names were later described as inappropriate while others just sounded too cheesy.

As I developed more names, started writing them down, developing icons and the like, I was reading in the Psalms about shouting our praise to God. At the same time, texting was starting to become even more popular (or just plain introduced!) and to save characters, we would substitute numbers for words. Like "4" in place of "for".

Then it hit me: Shout4God. Not too cheesy, not too difficult. S4G was fun to write, and while I didn't create an icon or a company design (and still haven't), the name would give less credit to "Ben" and more credit to God. Perfect. I still continue to teach lessons and perform music under DeLong Music, but my submitted/printed music had (C) Shout4God at the bottom of the page.

I am extremely happy to announce the beginning of not one, but TWO things! First, this blog. Ta da. Second, I just submitted an original song called "Don't Let My Love Grow Cold (Ceaseless Praise)" to the powers that be who copyright things. This will be my actual first copyrighted song! (side note: I tried to copyright a different song a couple times, but at several points, I didn't have the money [or the patience] and another time, my tape was labeled "contains or came in contact with anthrax" and was subsequently destroyed, along with my desire to work so hard at that venture again... until now).

So here it is: Shout4God Worship Blog. As the new Worship/Assistant Pastor at True North Church in Wauseon, follow plans we make, songs we choose, and check out some original work done by yours truly, under a name pointing to Him: Shout4God.

No comments:

Post a Comment